Wednesday, March 05, 2008

Memories of Korea, #2

During my first year in Korea, I taught a lot of university students, who were a lot of fun. From time to time, I would go out socially with them.

One such evening, we were sitting around a table in a restaurant, when the discussion turned to hair colour, specifically blonde hair. One of my students asked, hesitantly, if he could just touch my hair. I shrugged and said, "Sure!"

Tentatively, he reached out and lightly, gently touched my hair. Reverently, as if in awe, he said, "This is first time I touch blonde hair!!!"

I wonder now whether he ever thinks back on that moment, ever tells his friends about this western woman who was once his teacher, and how she had very blonde, very fine hair. Somehow - and I hope this won't come across as arrogance - I think he might.

No comments: