Monday, March 24, 2008

Acts of Kindness

I was sitting in the subway car on the train. I had just picked up a coffee cup that someone had left behind on the ledge behind a seat. The cup still had a bit of coffee in it. It had fallen over and spilled the coffee, which was in danger of getting on to the coat of the woman sitting in the seat. I was deprecating today's modern manners and the habit of leaving litter everywhere.

I heard a voice asking someone to pick up their feet. I looked around and a young man of about 12 to 15 years of age was reaching under a nearby seat. He pulled out the garbage and litter underneath it.

There were three or four other similar young men with him. They were wearing latex gloves, and one was carrying a garbage bag. They swept through the car between stations, picked up all the garbage, and accepted more from passengers. I gave them the coffee cup. One of them brought up the rear and wiped and polished the poles that passengers hold on to. At High Park they got out and vanished.

It is an understatement to say I was stunned. I've been riding the subway for 25 years and haven't seen anything like this before.

Too bad we can't encourage others to do the same, because it probably violates numerous regulations. But it was pretty amazing to see. Thanks to whoever you were, guys. We all thought you were great.


It had been snowing all day, when I hopped off the Bramalea GO Train.

All I wanted to do was get to the warmth and comfort of my home, but I knew I was going to have to spend at least ten minutes braving the elements to clear off my car before I could go anywhere.

I headed in the direction of my car and wondered how I was ever going to find it - all the cars were covered in snow.

As I approached the general vicinity, one car stood out because it was the only one that had already been cleared. Imagine my surprise when I realized it was my car.

I have no idea who cleared it off, or why. I can only assume it was a fellow passenger who came in on an earlier train, cleared off their car and then decided to clear off the car next to them too.

Whoever you are, I want to say thank you for your considerate gesture! I headed for home smiling all the way.

More here.

No comments: