Sunday, March 02, 2008

Food, cooking, Bob Loblaw's law blog :)

Last week was the first time in a LOOOOONG time that I brought my lunch to work every day and ate it every day.

I’ve been a little Suzy Homemaker lately. I've wondered about it, and realized that there are several reasons why:

  • Without a roommate, I now have full access to all the fridge and cupboard space. This means I’m not limited in my supplies.
  • With my new deep freezer, I’m not as painfully limited in my long-term storage space. I can make that big pot of soup and not worry about having to eat the same darned thing day after day until I want to throw up.
  • Now that I have my Roomba, I’m spending far less time on other housework. Yay!!!
  • I’ve been reading about modern agriculture and genetically modified organisms (GMOs) and have decided to buy organic produce and products as much as possible. Since none of the food courts where I work offer any such guarantees about their food, I’m left to schlep my food in every day.
  • I actually find cooking rewarding* and sometimes even meditative. Plus, I am just amazed at the countless delicious recipes that are veggie-friendly (and to think when I became a vegetarian I tried to resign myself to the fact I’d be eating boring food for the rest of my life!).
  • There’s a lot of hidden fat in most food-court fare, and I *know* I can avoid 90% of the fat and still enjoy what I’m eating if I make it myself.

(*And to think that when I was growing up, I steadfastly refused to learn how to cook! Mind you, I think I was rebelling against my father's idea that all women should know how to cook. His argument that I should learn how to cook for when I was married was probably not the best argument to use on me, the poor antiquated dear. LOL However, I think even my cooking these days would not gain his whole-hearted approval, as it is without meat. I guess I'll always be a disappointment. LOL)

Today I made a chickpea gumbo that was divine. I froze most of it in individual portions, like much of what I prepare for myself. I find that if I have sufficient variety (say, a different soup for each day of the week), I’m quite happy to forego the food court. And now basically all I have to do is cook one pot of soup for freezing a week, and the variety is sustained. I’d call myself a genius, but it kind of happened without me realizing it. :)

The next step in my food-court independence is baking. I used to bake quite a bit (though nothing challenging or extravagant), but got out of it for several years. Now I’m doing a lot of reading about using alternative flours, healthy sugar substitutes like stevia, and how to reduce the amount of butter or oil that’s needed in some recipes. Baking is going to take more trial and error than my beloved soups, but ever since my last trip to Seattle (where I gorged myself on Lisa’s oatmeal raisin cookies without hardly a vestige of restraint), I’ve been craving baked goods on a daily basis. Not good for the wallet, the blood sugar, or the hips unless I find some healthy alternatives that I can make myself! :) Today I made oatmeal brownies, which totally addressed my chocolate craving (after the second one), but it was far too crumbly. I will try the recipe again sometime with a couple of adjustments, and I’m sure it’ll be terrific.

Okay, I’m done blathering. Sorry for the inane post. It must be quite the disappointment after the Matt Damon videos! LOL

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

While I greatly enjoyed the Matt Damon video (hilarious!), there's nothing like a cooking story to inspire a comment from me.

I've been going to the Arva flour mill just outside of London to buy locally grown grains that are milled right there. I think you'd enjoy the range of products there, not to mention the character of the place. (Just the smell of the building reminds me of when I used to go to the mill with my Dad.)

I have a great recipe for a multi-grain bread that is surprisingly light and delicious. In fact, I've been making all my bread for the past couple of months, thanks to my bread machine.

As a farm-raised, certified 4-H homemaker I know how to make bread totally by hand, but as the urban career woman I've become, there's not time!

Barbara Kingsolver's "Animal, Vegetable, Mineral" has certainly inspired me to think more about the origins of my food. Marlene

Eclecta said...

Hey Marlene! I love it when you de-lurk! :)

That mill sounds really cool! I'll have to try to check it out sometime soon.

I've been toying with the idea of getting a breadmaker (specifically this one because of its small size (counter space-wise), the small size of the loaves that it produces (since I'd be generally baking for one person), and the excellent reviews it has.

I think you're really smart to be baking your own bread - maybe someday I'll hit you up for that recipe! :)

I've heard good things about that book you've mentioned. I LOVED Kingsolver's novel, "The Poisonwood Bible" - have you read it?

:)

C.

Anonymous said...

Gosh, have I been a lurker? Can you see what I'm thinking, too? So, you probably know that I check your blog almost every day. I think I'm addicted.

I've read all of Barbara Kingsolver's novels. She's one of my favourite writers. I also highly recommend her book of essays, "High Tide in Tucson."

I like the idea of a smaller bread machine. Mine is a hulking presence on the kitchen counter.

Cheers from out in the open now. M

Eclecta said...

Dear Marlene,

Awww ... I'm so glad that you enjoy this blog. More than I can say without sounding sentimental or, oddly, sarcastic. Just know that it means a great deal to me.

:)

C.

Unknown said...

decrease your oil and add apple sauce instead.....helps things stick together, totally healthy and super tasty. :)