Sunday, November 25, 2007

Random weekendness

Friends and Internet vagabonds, I have not been this unproductive for a weekend for a loooooooong time. I blame Kalisah for having a link to this blog, which I then spent half the weekend reading (seriously …)

True, I did go to the One of a Kind Show Friday night with Alison, and then to Roberta’s birthday party Saturday night (where I spent most of my time chatting with a friend’s fiancĂ©, Joseph, who is such a great guy … I am so happy for Andrea), and I finally lugged my carcass to the gym late this afternoon, but I’m used to doing a lot more with my time, frankly. Oh well, hopefully it’ll just mean extra energy for me to haul my camera, laptop, and all my other worldly possessions to Seattle later this week.

When I was at the gym tonight, there was a figure skating special on TV – Kristi Yamaguchi Friends and Family show. I used to watch figure skating religiously in the ‘90s, and a lot of the usual suspects showed up – some of them with their kids. It was great. Here are a few thoughts that you can feel free to skip unless you actually care:

  • Isabelle Brasseur was skating with someone who absolutely was NOT Lloyd Eisler - I guess this guy is her husband Rocky Marval, also a retired pairs skater, but she also had her/their adorable daughter Gabrielle out on the ice, and judging by the super-excited jumping she did when their routine was over, little Gabrielle enjoys the spotlight. I wouldn’t be surprised to see her in national competitions in a few years;
  • Ekaterina Gordeeva skated, and she is one of the most beautiful, classy people I can think of. Her beauty radiates from within when she’s on the ice – absolutely amazing to watch;
  • Ilia Kulik was mesmerizing – he is an incredible artist, even after all these years away from amateur competition;
  • Viktor Petrencko, however, makes me cringe. I know he’s a gifted athlete, but there is just something so cheesy about his on-ice shtick that I can’t watch him;
  • Jenny Meno and Todd Sand have two of the most adorable red-haired boys you can imagine. So cute.

After I came back from the gym, I surfed the web even more so I could get the precise dates of the Canadian and World Figure Skating Championships in my calendar. Do you think it’s possible to rent a DVR for a week at a time? I don’t want to spend my time in front of the TV year-round, but these two weeks would be an exception. But who am I kidding – it would probably take me a whole week to get the thing properly cabled before I had to return it. LOL

Another random topic: I’ve been considering going to see the movie, P.S. I Love You when it comes out in theatres in December. I love Hilary Swank, and I fell in love with Gerard Butler a little bit while watching Dear Frankie, so I was keen. However, I actually watched the trailer tonight and now I’m not too sure. Will you watch it for me and give me your thoughts? Is it maybe just a DVD rental? And then only when I’m PMSing?

Speaking of movies, a woman at the gym today highly recommended No Country for Old Men. I think I would have a hard time sitting through that one, no matter how excellent the acting is. Has anyone else seen it? I know I did manage to sit through Eastern Promises, but I had my eyes covered for all but 0.0001 seconds of the steam room scene. And I have a hard time handling suspense.

Final parting links before I call it a night:

  • Watch this if you blog or read blogs and understand the insanity that is the online world of commenting. If you do neither, you will totally find this stupid and random, which is what online comments are like sometimes. (Sorry, Mom, you will NOT get it, don't even bother. Love you though!)
  • This blog post is cute for anyone who has a pet.
I think this might be my most-linked post ever. Clearly the Type A in me is coming out of hibernation. :)

No comments: