Saturday, September 22, 2007

Evening recap

Okay, so I know this is a bit late, but I haven’t actually gone to bed yet, so this technically still counts as the post for Friday, right? I have a good excuse – I was out with friends watching a movie, then we met up with more friends and had a drink or two. It was fun! :)

What movie, you ask? Well, it was the new David Cronenberg film, Eastern Promises. It stars Viggo Mortensen and it won the viewers’ choice award at the Toronto International Film Festival this month.

You may have heard or read something about this movie. So I can tell you that yes, it is violent; yes, it has a very stately pacing, and yes, there is a naked fight scene (Viggo Mortensen NAKED!!!!). But *I* did not see Viggo naked. This was because my eyes were squeezed tightly shut so I wouldn’t see all the violence. I also had to mentally sing “Row, Row, Row Your Boat” to distract me from the scary violent sounds. I am a wuss, but I like it that way. It’s better than having my imagination fester with violent images/soundtrack.

Overall, it was a really interesting movie and very well done. The themes that Cronenberg explored were intriguing and thought-provoking. Some of it was disturbing. For example (and I believe I can do this without presenting any spoilers here), I think about a certain balloon scene that I found curious, which made me think that there was a lot more to it than just prepping for a party. The more I think about it, the balloon and its placement (watch the film and you might see what I mean) represents sex, and the discussion between the character named Kerill and his young female relative underscores the comparative youth of another young woman in the film who had been raped at age 14. And all this goes to underline just how evil the rapist was. It was a movie designed to make you squirm ever so slightly, but it was very good, and I’m glad I went to see it.

As I mentioned, after “Eastern Promises,” we went out for a drink. There I met Pierre, younger brother to my friend Perkin. Remembering that Perkin had mentioned that he was one of seven sons, and noting that both Pierre and Perkin’s names started with “p”, on a lark I asked if the other brothers also had names that started with “P”. Surprisingly, the answer was yes! (Philip, Patrick, Patterson, Paul, Perkin, Pierre, and Princeton! Now don’t say anything mean or snarky about this because Perkin stops by this blog from time to time! LOL) Anyway, I had to laugh because when I was, oh, 15 or so, I had these silly ideas of having lots of kids and giving them names that all started with the same letter, but obviously I changed my mind along the way. Quite funny to find someone who actually grew up in my simple young-girl fantasy! LOL

All right, that’s all for tonight, folks!

No comments: