Thursday, September 13, 2007

Help from unexpected sources

Upon returning from the gym this morning around 6:45, I found I couldn’t get back into my apartment building.

My building is accessed by magnetic pass card rather than by a key. I waved my pass card in front of the sensor, to no avail. I tried the front door, the back door, even the doors to the garage, but the entire building was locked up tighter than Fort Knox.

I had had a great workout, and my bladder was pretty full from all the water I’d drunk throughout. I waited a painful 15 minutes for someone – anyone – to emerge from the elevators en route to an early work shift or dog walk. (I could have buzzed Jamie back in my apartment, but my alarm had already woken her once that morning, and a second time would just have been ridiculous.)

Finally, I saw the LED screen above one of the elevators change, indicating someone was coming down to the lobby! A man ran out of the elevator, opened the door for me, and immediately doubled back to the elevator.

“You came down here just to let me in?” I asked in disbelief.

“Yeah, well, the same thing happened to me when I went for a run this morning, so after I got out of the shower, I turned on the TV to see if there was anyone else who was stuck.”

So … I was saved this morning by my very own angel, and Lobby TV.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Jamie's soulmate?

Lobby TV also makes for a good party game, especially when your guests don't realize that there's a camera. I had mine on and whenever a guest buzzed, we would immediately yell, "Hi So-and-so!" and then burst into laughter at his or her startled reaction at how we could possibly know that it was them.

Jay said...

Aha!
The truth is revealed: Lobby TV rocks after all!

(meanwhile, you should have seen this cute guy come in with 3 cases of orange juice...I almost raced down to follow him, especially if had 3 cases or vodka to go along with it!)

Eclecta said...

Lillian - That all sounds like fun and games, but what if one of your guests, prior to buzzing, had done something highly embarrassing, such as dig her underwear out of her crack? LOL

But of course all of your friends (including me!) would be way too cool to do something like that! :->

Eclecta said...

Jamie - Well, let's see ... I would agree with you that Lobby TV does rock as a tool for would-be altruists/heroes, but I'm still not quite sold on its entertainment value! ;->