Monday, September 10, 2007

Lobby TV

I feel a bit better about myself and my life, now that I know Jamie’s secret pastime: Lobby TV.

No, folks, that is not some reality show you can watch on your own television. Unless you live in an apartment building or condo with closed-circuit video of the building entrance. Yes, Jamie can apparently sit for hours just watching people come and go, or waiting for people to just to show up. You think I lie, but I swear it’s the truth.

“Somebody just got take-out!” she said yesterday in a sing-song voice as someone with an unmistakable take-out bag buzzed himself into the building (I think I was actually reviewing the Spring Rolls takeout menu at the time, too). “Awww …” she said a few minutes later, “they just kissed!” (I turned and saw a smiling couple walk out of camera view.) Lobby TV spurred an entire conversation about how so many people – clearly not disabled or burdened with packages or whatever excuse you could think of - use the button to power open the door rather than pull or push it open themselves (I ask you: Is there anything lazier than not wanting to open a door for yourself???).

When I was teasing her last night about watching “Lobby TV,” she actually said, “Well, don’t YOU watch it???” Like the only possible answer was the admission that yes, in fact I did. “Of course not!” I sputtered. “Because I have a LIFE!!!” This made her laugh, as intended.

Jamie will always be cool. So what is the real reason why something as mundane as watching security video such a fascination? I think that, like any good writer, she is an observer, a voyeur, and behind those extravagantly long lashes, she is making up stories about them all.

1 comment:

Jay said...

Which is why I've noticed you've been sneaking in the back door!


Seriously, I say we petition the supers for sound!