Sunday, September 23, 2007

Another object lesson from Nature


DSC_0015
Originally uploaded by Noisypond.

Yes, this tree is hollow, yet still alive. I find the resilience of this tree to be awe-inspiring.

Today it is the fall equinox, a time to consider the circle of life. Yesterday someone was talking to me about the "Law of Attraction" and suggesting that people who have terrible things happen to them bring it upon themselves through their thoughts and fears. While I have no doubt that this is true at least in part (e.g., negativity, self-fulfilling prophecies, etc.), I need only to look at Nature to see that death and loss are as much a part of life as birth and regeneration. I believe it is all sacred because it is part of our earthly experience, and one is redeemed by the other.

To me, the critical element is attitude. I think this tree has great attitude. It has defied the odds. This tree stands proudly, offering itself as encouragement to hundreds of people who walk and bike past it every year. It tells me, "You can do anything" and "Trust, believe." I think - I hope - it must also comfort those in pain, because I think they can relate to it and be inspired by its nobility. This tree has become extraordinary and beautiful as a result of its experience and its tenacious response to it.

And I am grateful that today I had another chance to walk by it.

No comments: