Tuesday, November 13, 2007

Firing on more cylinders these days

Tonight I worked out at the gym and did 60 minutes on the eliptical machine. Sixty minutes!!!! I kept myself preoccupied by watching "The Biggest Loser" (generally one of the most motivating shows I've ever watched) and listening to podcasts by Mike Lipkin, a motivational speaker I heard - perhaps experienced is a better word - back in February. I recommend his stuff, but warn you his manner of speaking is a little ... caffeine-inspired??? Oh well, his podcasts are helping me internalize a few truths about setting goals and developing disciplines in order to achieve objectives.

One of the points in the podcast I was listening to was to list out what you've learned and achieved in the past year. Achievements are more difficult for me to point to (but definitely possible, thankfully), but the lessons I've learned in the past year have been legion.

A year ago, something happened that really ripped the rug out from under my feet. I went through shock, denial, anger, resentment, indifference, etc. to slowly building back my confidence and - faith, suprisingly- through some unexpected avenues. I never would have believed "Black Friday" could have led to all that I've gained. I'm not thankful that "Black Friday" happened, but I'm deeply grateful for the forebearance of certain people and for the opportunities that have allowed me to heal and grow.

It feels good to be back.

No comments: