Saturday, August 25, 2007

What a day

Today I was the official photographer at a wedding for the first time. I managed to get some good photos, in spite of/because of the rain that forced us indoors halfway through the ceremony. I am reassured that I got enough good ones, so I won't spend half the night processing the rest, but here's a sample:

Yes, this photo has a big fuzzy mark where a raindrop was on my lens, but that's just part of the story. I like this photo because it shows Steph and Dom rolling with the punches, along with some help from all-around great guy Jason.
Steph resting a bit (she's expecting twins, so it was especially understandable). I like this photo a lot because it was a unique moment - I can't really express why - and she really made me laugh.

They assembled themselves so perfectly that a monkey could have taken this photo.


The wedding ceremony was beautiful and intimate, the dinner phenomenal, and the company fun. I am super-relieved that many of the photos turned out okay!!!!!!!!!

I got home tonight and my roommate was in the living room with her mother and sister, with big suitcases obviously packed. My roommate told me she was moving back to Africa. Tomorrow. It has nothing to do with me and a lot to do with her family. I had an idea that this might happen, but I wasn't sure, and I certainly wasn't expecting it to happen so suddenly. Neither was she. I will have to trust that she will be okay through all this.

I think now I'm tired and a little overwrought. It's been an intense day with a bit of a shock at the end. Time for me to finish feeding the cats and head to bed.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

These are great photos! Very nicely done. Also, seeing Steph glowing with wedding bliss and pregnancy reminded me that I had been meaning to send along a tip or two about being pregnant with twins. The number one thing that helped me with my twin pregnancy was eating A LOT of food in my first and second trimester. In fact, I found it best to pack on as many pounds as possible in the early months because you may not believe it now, but once you hit the third trimester those babies are going to need more calories than you can possibly eat. I had a very hard time gaining weight in my third trimester (other than water weight) and was obviously sliming down in my arms and face. I do know it helped me when my babies came 5 weeks early but were still a respectable 4 lbs 12 oz and 4 lbs 13 oz.

Of course, this should all be done in concert with your doctor’s recommendations and careful monitoring. There is also a helpful book that my sister-in-law (who had full-term twin girls who were each 7 lbs!) recommended to me:
When You're Expecting Twins, Triplets, or Quads, Revised Edition: Proven Guidelines for a Healthy Multiple Pregnancy by Barbara Luke and Tamara Eberlein.

I didn’t follow the guide to the letter, but the suggestions on getting the balance of nutrients, proteins and fats as well as the revised weight goals were quite helpful. For me, I just ate a ton of beef (I could not get enough of the stuff, and on the flip-side chicken started tasting like sawdust), and I ate constantly (3 meals plus 3 to 4 large snacks a day). I hope this is helpful to your friends expecting twins. Congratulations to them!

Anonymous said...

P.S. Twin pregnancy tip #2: Drink water like you cannot get enough. Drink it until you fell like you might just float away. At the risk of sharing too much, I basically had an hourly routine during the day of visiting the washroom and then swinging by the kitchen to refil my water bottle on the same trip. It was all about infow and outflow! :-)