Monday, August 27, 2007

Something weird happened on the way home tonight

At the end of a very long day (the last hour thereof spent in a used book store – big mistake), I was sitting on the subway going home. I noticed someone in the same car as me – a fair distance away – only because he was sitting down, but stood up, walked a few paces to the end of the car, and leaned against the back wall facing the rest of the car while he read his paper. It just struck me as just a little bit odd. What was even more weird, however, was that he had more than a passing resemblance to an old ex-boyfriend of mine. So much so that I almost got up and approached him, until I thought about how this conversation might go if he was not in fact my ex.

Her: Hi, um … Did we, like, used to sleep together?
Him: Get away from me, you freak.

Or something like that. Except I would have sounded even MORE like a dork. ;->

[Edited to add: OF COURSE I wouldn't really say that! It was a J-O-K-E.]

So for the next two subway stops I:
  • surreptitiously studied him to determine whether it was actually him (no way to tell, it had been too long since I’d seen him, and this other time doesn’t count at all - it was dark, and he's tall, dammit! LOL);
  • tried to look everywhere else;
  • justified to myself that if it really was him, it was incumbent upon him to approach me, as I am truly unmistakable with my blonde hair, being overloaded with bags, and having a Gore-Tex jacket slung over one arm;
  • worked to tamper down a silly grin because I found the whole thing rather amusing.

No comments: