Wednesday, May 03, 2006

My new hero

I lost the stomach to follow American politics as closely as I once used to do, but from time to time I've checked out the superb and insightful observations at the Whiskey Bar. Through this blog site, I read about Stephen Colbert's brilliant speech at the White House Correspondents Dinner (video or written transcript). It's amazing - he's my new hero.

Billmon writes:

Colbert used satire the way it's used in more openly authoritarian societies: as a political weapon, a device for raising issues that can't be addressed directly. He dragged out all the unmentionables -- the Iraq lies, the secret prisons, the illegal spying, the neutered stupidity of the lapdog press -- and made it pretty clear that he wasn't really laughing at them, much less with them. It may have been comedy, but it also sounded like a bill of indictment, and everybody understood the charges.

2 comments:

Janet said...

Personally I can't wait for the day until one of the smart comedic types actually gives some no nonsense politician a run for their money. It's bound to happen sooner or later.

Thanks for swinging by the site...stop by anytime!:)

Jay said...

You have to love a razor tongue.