Thursday, May 25, 2006

At a park in Seoul


korean snrs park
Originally uploaded by Noisypond.

This is one of my favourite pictures of myself. 1997. Visiting Seoul for a weekend with friends Laurelle and Melissa. We were at some public park where senior citizens tended to gather. We got chatting with a couple in my broken Korean, and before you knew it, we had gathered quite a crowd (I guess the Korean old folks didn't get a lot of entertainment). Fortunately, a younger Korean happened along, and he served as our interpreter. They asked the normal questions like where were we from, how old we were, how long we lived in Korea, when we intended to get married, etc. I got a real kick out of telling them that I would get married when I could find a man who would cook and clean for me (scandalous to their Confucian culture!). I know, not very nice to seek to scandalize people, but I prefer to think of it as "re-education". LOL

I didn't realize that Melissa was taking this picture at the time. So I like it because it's a candid shot, and I'm very obviously enjoying talking with these people (Koreans are truly lovely people). This photo also reminds me that I enjoy my little adventures, and it's important to honour this aspect of myself.

No comments: