Saturday, April 26, 2008

More acts of kindness

From the Toronto Star:

About a year ago, I was taking my elderly mother home at about 5 p.m. from the lawyer’s office after dealing with my father's will. Understandably, we were a bit sad and I didn't notice that when I had parked the car, I had run over a small roll of hard wire that promptly got entangled in the wheel well. The grinding sound it made while I was driving scared us both, so I tried to untangle it myself. The wire was so hard and tight around the wheel that I feared that the brakes would be compromised.

My mother remembered there was a small mechanic's shop nearby (on Dundas west of Dovercourt). Although I expected it to be closed for the night, we carefully drove over to see. Thankfully, there was still someone in the office, and when I explained my problem, he promptly jacked up the car to see. Realizing the danger we were in, he used his tools to safely remove the wire.

Perhaps he saw the anxiety we were feeling, or maybe he was just an angel in disguise, but he refused payment for his services! Just asking us to come back when we "really" needed him.

In my state of mind, I forgot to get his name, but if you're reading this, know that we were grateful beyond belief. May God bless you!
Fatima Steels, Toronto


Last weekend we parked the car on Charles St E. in Toronto to see a show. Upon our return, we saw a parking enforcement officer having a rather animated conversation with the driver of the car parked behind us.

To our dismay we noticed there was something on the windshield and resigned ourselves to the fact that we had also received a parking ticket. I removed the ticket and noticed that in fact it was a receipt from a restaurant in the Halifax airport. I presumed someone was playing a prank so I got into the car and gave the receipt to my beloved.

There was a note scribbled at the back which said “your wallet is under your front tire.” I got out and saw a small package neatly away under my front tire. I then surmised that my wallet must have fallen out of my pocket when I exited the car. This person not only returned my wallet, but took the time to wrap it in a plastic bag and ensure that it was well hidden. My sincere thanks to that thoughtful Good Samaritan.
Tony Seebalack, Toronto


As a young mother, I often have to juggle a million things at once. I was getting cash out of an ATM one evening, when my cell phone rang. I answered it and inadvertently walked away without retrieving my bank card or cash. When I realized the loss hours later, I returned to the ATM, but the items were gone.

However, someone had left a note to call them. I called, and a young woman answered saying she had my card and money.

Apparently, after I had left, a homeless man had entered the ATM booth to hide from the cold. Not knowing what to do with the money and card, he handed it to the young woman who was also an ATM user. I offered the Good Samaritan a reward but she turned it down.

And now whenever I see a homeless person, I contribute a coffee or snack. That evening, two people chose honesty. And now, I choose to see people as kind and good.
Mary Jane Loven, Toronto


My husband and I went to Niagara Falls one weekend to get away.

We went to an expensive restaurant and decided we would splurge. I noticed a man on the upper level by himself staring at us. I didn't think much of it. We ordered our meal along with some wine.

A few minutes later a different waiter came to our table and told us that the older gentleman had purchased our wine because we reminded him of himself and his wife. He told the waiter not to tell us until he had left his table.

This gentleman made our night and the rest of our trip.
Maria Ricitano, Toronto


We were traveling in beautiful Nova Scotia and were impressed not only by the scenery but the wonderful friendly people there.

One Sunday, the car was a bit low on gas but we didn't worry - we'd top up at the next station. But we soon discovered that open gas stations can be few and far between on coastal roads. Eventually we ran out of gas right next to a marina.

Hoping they might sell some gas my husband walked in. Twenty minutes later he was back with gas and a fisherman. There was no gas for sale but the kind gentleman took Bruce out to his boat in a dingy and siphoned enough gas out to get us to the next town where we finally found a open gas station.

This was one of many small kindnesses that came our way on that trip. Thanks so much to the kind folk of the east coast.
Sharon Quarrington, Campbellville


During my youth in Toronto, I worked as a takeout delivery driver. One particularly busy evening, I lost my money pouch. However, a note was left at a restaurant written with a little kid's handwriting indicating my pouch was found.

I went to retrieve it at a run down apartment. The girl who answered the door invited me in and returned the pouch, with all the money. I wanted to leave a reward but her parents refused. It was obvious they needed the money. When I asked them why they wouldn't accept a reward, they answered that if they ever lost money, they would hope someone would do the same.
David Stinmple, Arthur


Many years ago, I joined the workforce straight from university.

I started as a front line social worker with Toronto Childrens Aid Society. However, my first week was very taxing. My files were overwhelming, and I found the work to be draining.

After a few weeks, I typed up my resignation letter, but before handing it in, I wanted to make one last visit to a young boy who was placed with a new foster home. He was a broken soul, but always smiled.

Before leaving him, he gave me a paper frog he had made. Marvin said that frogs only moved forward. I thanked him for his gift, and scrunched up my resignation letter. He gave me the confidence to move forward as well. Recently, I retold that story at my retirement party, after 36 years as a social worker.
Jared Navid, Scarborough

No comments: