Friday, April 11, 2008

Mini-revelations

I got the results of some food allergy testing yesterday, and the results indicate that I'm highly allergic to flax seed (flax seed????) and cane sugar, which I suppose covers white sugar, brown sugar, molasses, and every other permutation of sugar cane.

This totally sucks, as flax is quite prevalent today in many healthy foods, and sugar is EVERYWHERE, but (in the instance of the cane sugar) could be totally good for me in many other ways to eliminate it from my diet. I'm not actually aware of any reaction, but then again I have no idea how good I could possibly feel without cane sugar ...

3 comments:

Abi said...

hmmm... food allergy testing is a reasonably controversial area in the UK. not enough science beind it... i'd personally take it with a pinch of salt (or cane sugar) :)

Anonymous said...

Well that is no fun at all! Do you know if your alergy pertains to beet sugar as well as cane sugar? I need to know if I can make cookies for you the next time you come visit!

Anonymous said...

Hi Cynthia,

As lisa points out, Beet Sugar is an option (assuming you're not allergic to that too).

Most 'processed' white sugar is made from Sugar Beets.

Check labels to be sure.

But usually, in North America, 'Sugar' means beet Sugar; while Cane Sugar is clearly identified as such.