Sunday, July 29, 2007

Reunions

Today I drove three hours into the heart of southwestern Ontario for a family reunion.

I know people say that the flat terrain of this part of the world is mind-numbing in its plainness and monotony, but I love it. This afternoon as I was driving the clouds were incredible, and there were no buildings or mountains to obscure the colours and the ever-changing shapes and the light spilling through and what looked like a gentle curtain of rain falling somewhere in the distance. I love the rare big trees that grow along ditches and fencelines in their lonely, stately dignity. Somehow this part of the country makes me feel grounded and inspired at the same time. Maybe you had to grow up there.

Anyway, here’s a picture of my dad with his siblings:

And here’s a photo my Uncle Ted took of me sitting with my aunts Willie, Anne, and Judy, looking through photographs. I like this photo a lot because it really represents to me why I go out of my way to go to family reunions.

And here’s another photo I asked my Uncle Ted to take of me and my Aunt Willie (short for Wilhelmina). As far as I’m concerned, my Aunt Willie’s picture should be next to the phrase “unconditional love” in the dictionary. She is such a wonderful, open person, and while I know everyone goes through hard patches in life, she has always seemed to be more vitally alive than most people I know. I consider myself to be very lucky to be her niece, and I aspire to be like her – both as an aunt myself now and as a human being.

No comments: