Monday, July 02, 2007

Eclecta baby photo retrospective III


16
Originally uploaded by Noisypond.

Since it’s been a long weekend and I sanely (surprisingly) decided to keep my calendar open so I could address some things around here that have been driving me crazy, I’ve finally had a chance to scan the rest of the photos from my childhood. I won’t blog all of them at once, as that would be a total bore, but I will do a couple at a time.

This particular photo is likely the first one taken of me with my brother. Really, the title of this blog posting should read something like, “Boy, THAT sure was awkward!” Maybe it’s fitting; throughout our 36-year relationship, there have been glorious moments of friendship (which you will see in other photos), bitter rivalry, intense mutual embarrassment, and then periods when we have felt like strangers with one another.

I was 17 months old when my brother Joe was born (ironic since my parents tried for about 8 YEARS before I showed up). Not really twins like Lorelai and Reece, but fairly close (and with far more physical resemblance than that particular brother-sister duo!). I hope that Lorelai and Reece will enjoy countless hours together being silly and building forts and biking and playing games and eating cherries like Joe and I did, but I think they’ll also show each other more respect than Joe and I did. Fortunately, it’s never too late to learn. :)

Techie note: Picasa rocks! Picasa is a FREE photo-editing tool from Google that is incredibly easy to use (far easier than Photoshop!) and really helps with image quality. I’ve run all these scans of old childhood photos through Picasa to sharpen them and sometimes to crop them. While the quality of these old photos is generally quite bad, Picasa does make most of them a little less blurry. Definitely worth the minute or two per photograph. I process all my photographs in Picasa first, using Photoshop only if I need the additional tools that Photoshop provides. Picasa will also convert RAW files (the format used in digital cameras that captures all the information possible for every pixel) into JPEG very easily.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Coincidentally, I came across an old photo album yesterday and looked through all these gems from the seventies (the late seventies, if that makes any difference). Such nostalgia. One of the best photos was of who else, but adorable little you and Joe sitting together in a chair and looking angelic and loving (for at least the moment when the photo was taken!).

I found another one of Dad and Uncle Omer on -- of all things -- a seesaw. Dad was way up at the top, and Omer all the way down to the ground on the other side. You should see the grins on their faces! I took this photo at a family get-together at your place, actually.

It just struck me that I'm the same age today that Dad was when that photo was taken. To me back then, he seemed so much older, but when I see that picture now, it's a contemporary letting loose and having some fun. (I won't get started on how much I miss my Dad...)

Today I was thinking that I need to scan these old photos and share them with the limited number of people in the world who would actually appreciate them. Later, I logged on to your blog and see you're doing the same thing. The difference is, you actually have the tools and know-how to do this.

I'm trying to update my computer usage and savvy. Believe it or not, I just got my first digital camera. Once I replace my ancient (5-year-old) computer, I'll be in a better position to get whatever else it is I need to share these old pics. Marlene

Eclecta said...

Dear Marlene,

I'd love to see your photos!!!! If I can help in any way, I will!

I'm sorry to hear how much you miss your dad. I find over time I appreciate him more and more. He was a lovely, classy guy.

You raise an interesting point about seeing your dad now as a contemporary ... I might blog about that soon. :)

Thanks for your visit, Marlene. It's always really great to read your comments, and it's nice to know that someone is getting a kick out of this rather self-involved exercise! :)

E.