Tuesday, January 02, 2007

Tree in fog


Tree in fog
Originally uploaded by Noisypond.

I took this photo on Xmas morning. I love it, though unfortunately the majesty of this tree is not adequately conveyed because there is nothing for scale.

I love trees that are somehow allowed to grow in the middle of a field. (I know my dad never would have tolerated it - there's competition for water, sun, and nutrients, and then there's also the real damage that tree roots and branches could do to machinery).

I wonder why some trees are left when all others have been cut away?

When I lived in Korea, there was a massive old tree in the middle of a major street (opposing lanes of traffic had to go AROUND it), but many people did not want it to be chopped down because they believed it was inhabited by a spirit.

I don't think I'd find a single Ontario farmer who'd admit to believing trees were inhabited by spirits ...

No comments: