Monday, April 25, 2005

Adventures in Subway Riding

Don't get me wrong - I love public transit. I consider myself fortunate to have a job and to be able to live along a subway route that will get me to work quickly, safely, and with minimal impact to the environment.

That said, subway rides home from work can be colourful sometimes. If it's busy, and the conductor has missed his stress management classes, every stop can be: "Do not lean against the doors. Use all available doors. The next train will be just as busy, so use all available doors. Do NOT lean against the doors!!! DO - NOT - LEAN AGAINST THE DOORS!!!!!" You can tell the guy's ready to jump out of his skin with irritation and thinking every swear word you know and a few more ...

Can the ride home be more irritating? I learned tonight that yes, it can. The conductor was a woman, and she would call out the names of the next subway stops in an annoying singsong voice. Like nails on a chalkboard ...

No comments: