Saturday, November 15, 2008

Procrastinating

My brain is constipated. Sorry, that's crass, but it's an apt description. I've been memorizing molecular structures of the amino acids for my mid-term on Monday, and there are only so many that I can absorb at a time.

So, for fun (fun! HA!) I've been cleaning out my bookshelves. Making room for the textbooks that I will soon be requiring. And you know what? Over the years, I have made one heckuvan investment in language learning materials. And I can't bear to be parted with any of it, no matter how unlikely it is that one day I will be able to again study French, Spanish, Italian, Chinese, and Korean. Oh, and German. Two boxes of this stuff! To be banished to the creepy basement ... where's a forklift when I need one???

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Memorizing amino acid structure is the first of many more structures to know in biochemistry. I learned them using cue cards. Structure on one side, names on the other. Shuffle them and then pull one. If you see the structure, can you name it? If you see the name, can you draw it?

You may not have time for the amino acids, but it may be helpful for later ones (I'm thinking metabolism).

Good luck!

Eclecta said...

Hey Dana! Thanks for reading and commenting, on a Saturday night, no less!

I have spent the whole day memorizing the amino acids, with index cards, lots of writing, etc. I've got them about 90% tonight (including which are essential, polar/non-polar, acidic/basic), but I will need to review them again tomorrow to make sure I've got them.

I sure wish I'd started studying earlier, though. :-S Think of me!!! :)

Unknown said...

Best of luck on your exam tomorrow. I know that you'll do great!

Eclecta said...

Jenn - Thanks! I appreciate the vote of confidence, and hope it's warranted! :)