Wednesday, November 05, 2008

It's just beginning

Well, folks, last night was pretty amazing, huh? President. Barack. Obama. I'm finding it hard to believe, like I might wake up from a dream and be crushed with disappointment. And yet I know it's true.

Eight years ago, I despaired at the election of George W. Bush, but I had faith that the elder statesmen and the institutions of the land would keep him from doing too much damage. Boy, was I wrong. They botched up everything from national security to global warming to the economy and as much as they could befoul in between. And in less than three months, the competent adults will finally be back in charge. Do they ever have their work cut out for them.

But considering how hard the Republicans had to work to send everything to shit, I do believe that Obama and his camp can turn things around. Maybe, sadly, not in time for everyone, but overall I think we all stand a fighting chance now. It's going to take a LOT of hard work and cooperation within the United States and around the world, but we have someone we can actually work with now, someone who is determined to serve the interests of all Americans and to do the right thing.

Does this all sound ridiculously naive? You know, I'm a little bit more willing to risk naivete today because I've learned a little bit about hope in the last 12 hours. I've learned how powerful it is. Here's an example, from a story a DailyKos reader shared about someone she briefly met:

As he ushered us into us cab in the morning, he admitted that he was less concerned about whether his taxes go up or down than he was about our standing in the world. It turns out he works part of the year in Ghana, coaching a soccer team.

"You used to drive through the streets and see posters everywhere of Osama bin Laden," he told us. "He was the first person people felt represented them in the world." Now all of the posters have been replaced -- with posters of Obama. "It makes them feel completely differently about America that a half-African black man could be elected president of this country."

Wow. And I'm sure that this is happening all over the world this week. How can this not remarkably change the international landscape???

It has been an incredible learning experience to watch Barack Obama through this election. Despite the egregious lies and slander, he kept his cool, maintained his focus, and insisted on hope and respect for his fellow Americans, regardless of their political affiliations. When the predominant sound from the financial markets was the sound of a toilet flushing, he was calm and steady, and urged his fellow citizens to be resolute and to use the system to defend their rights. In the face of racism, bitter division, and petty attacks, he has called upon Americans to work towards that more perfect union of their country. At times I felt as though, like a father or a mentor, he's actually shown us how to be better people. This guy gets the bigger picture, understands our humanity, and is uniquely gifted for this time.

I believe that the Universe has thrown us a life preserver with this one, as well as reset the bar for how we should behave and the interests we should pursue. The opportunity here cannot be squandered.

I know Obama will be doing his part, but I think we all have a role to play to live up to this historic time. Here are some of the things that I commit to do, inspired by #44:

  • I will seek to help other people. I've been considering a career change for several months, and this past month helped me make that decision. I will be going back to school full-time in January to learn to help people in a health-related profession.
  • I will be disciplined. Obama and his people ran the most disciplined campaign there's probably ever been in U.S. history, and that was a huge part of their success.
  • I will be an engaged, active member of my community. Hello, democracy works!!!
  • I will try very hard to treat everyone with respect and no longer villify those with whom I disagree. Yes, I will even include Stephen Harper in this.
  • I will dare to hope and to dream. I will not be ruled by fear, because it's destructive and limiting. I will still exercise caution, but hope and optimism are powerful in creating a positive future.
  • I will be steady and calm in the face of difficult circumstances. Like Obama, I will gain strength from remembering how previous generations preserved and sacrificed and gave us all a future.

This is a momentous time for us all. The speed and interconnectedness of communications in our society means that none of us can truly understand the impact of our own attitudes and actions. We can choose to inspire, serve, lead, participate in our democracies, make informed decisions, live meaningful lives, and contribute to our communities. We are all important, and we all have a voice and a role to play in shaping our todays and tomorrows. And I for one intend to live mine to the utmost. This doesn't mean that I won't make mistakes or fail along the way, but if Barack Obama can admit that about himself and still serve as President of the United States, I see no reason why I can't press forward too. :)

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

For the first time in 8 years, I'm actually proud to be an American. Instead of having to say "well, I certainly had nothing to do with the idiot getting elected..." I get to say, "yep, i voted for THE MAN".

i literally felt a weight lift itself off my chest and shoulders at 11 pm last night when Tom Brokaw made the announcement. Followed by tears of joy and relief....

PV said...

ALWAYS let yourself hope and dream! If no one dreamed, if no one hoped, then no one would try, and where would we all be then? It's those that hope and dream who can pull themselves, and many others with them, through a rough spot.

It would be nice to have a neighbour to the south once again that hope and dreamed. Dreamed of promise for all, for walking on the moon, for international space stations, for a better life for all, than a neighbour obsessed with bigger clubs and higher fences. I'm hopeful for a new neighbour!

Eclecta said...

Melissa - I still find I'm not quite believing it, almost 24 hours later. Maybe I should get my head checked out??? :) So this year, my amazing friend, we have Barack Obama as president. And maybe in 40 or 50 years, Ethan will be president!!! And I will be able to say that I taught a president of the United States that 5 + 8 = 13!!! :)

Pete - Dreaming is one thing, but believing in my dreams is quite another. But I'm working on it a lot these days ... :) And yeah, the new and improved neighbour will be a refreshing experience! :D

PV said...

Hey, in my dealings with you I always valued your honesty and integrity. If that's how you are with others, that's how you will be with yourself. I believe in your dreams!

(It's funny how sometimes it's hardest to believe in ourselves - I hear you there!)

Eclecta said...

Aww Pete - you're so nice. :) Unless ... are you faking it with me again????? :-D

You NEVER should have written that, you know ... LOL

PV said...

LOL. I was never faking it, but I do see where I should never have written that! I'm still trying to think of a snappy comeback to your reply of two wrongs never making a right....outsmarted again.... ;)

Eclecta said...

Don't feel bad, Pete - that happens with smart blondes! ;-D