Sunday, November 02, 2008

Can a campaign really be this tone-deaf?

I can't believe these Saturday Night Live videos from yesterday. I know I'm biased, but I can't believe that the McCain campaign would believe that these videos do anything but make their candidate look ridiculous. If I were a friend of McCain, I'd advise him to fire and then sue his campaign management.

Opening skit:



Weekend Update skit:



This behind-the-scenes video isn't any better. McCain thinks that SNL appearances humanize him:



So, what do you guys think?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well, I really liked the Starbucks ad at the end. The rest was lame, and rather embarrassing. So, I'm wondering, if I went into my local Starbucks on Tuesday and said I would have voted were I American, do you suppose they'd at least give a discount? M

Anonymous said...

Has everyone lost sight that this is SNL? It's not a news nor a political forum program. The goal and purpose of the show is to be completely ridiculous, stupid, and asinine. And as humour is subjective, let's not think too much of this. Remember this is the same show that created "Dick in Box" (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dick_in_a_Box)

Eclecta said...

Anonymous #1 - Lame and embarrassing pretty much encapsulates it. :)

Anonymous #2 - I would agree with you, but right now EVERYTHING is political. Furthermore, the state of politics and the media in the U.S. had become so ridiculous that only through SNL, Jon Stewart, and Dave Letterman did the truth seem to be expressed. Much like the clowns or the fools in Shakespearean tragedy.