Wednesday, January 09, 2008

Ironic

Okay, I know I'm all bloggedly bloggy tonight, but that's really Zen's fault for blogging about Hillary here and getting me all up in arms. :) (Love ya, Zen!!!)

So now that that's all out of my system (well, not really, but it'll have to do for now), let me tell you what arrived in the mail for me today (woooo-HOOOOOO, soooo excited!!!): the complete three-season set of Arrested Development.

Now, like my brother says, Arrested Development isn't everyone's sense of humour, but it seems to appeal to mine. For example, the irony ... like when sweet, bumbling George Michael is initially horrified at his cousin Maeby's suggestion that they should passionately kiss in front of her parents in order to convince them that they've been wrong to not allow the cousins to visit each other more ... and then after she kisses him in a failed attempt to get her parents' attention, he suddenly becomes secretly and sweetly enamoured with her and tries repeatedly to get close to her, while never being able to come out and share his feelings with her because ... EW, THEY'RE COUSINS! lol Cera plays his character with such likability and sympathy that I can't help but feel sorry for him as he tries to control his feelings and his hormones when their parents blythely decide that the cousins will have to share a bedroom because the family is short of money, or when his father decides that Maeby will have to work with George Michael in the teeny tiny banana stand. Which ... banana stand???? [excuse me while I giggle like a 12-year old]

So I was super-excited to get this set. I'd also ordered a book online at the same time, and they arrived together. The book? Workers of the World Relax by Conrad Schmidt, which is a series of essays on how most of us are working rather meaningless jobs to earn more money to buy more stuff that aren't really going to bring us true happiness. I learned about this book from Tuco Rides, who wrote intriguingly about the book and the background philosophy here.

Anyone sense another level of irony happening here? (I don't know whether to smile or hang my head in shame!)

2 comments:

ZenDenizen said...

The love's mutual, Eclecta!

I'm having trouble seeing parts of your blog today btw, the font seems to be .0000000004 font. Maybe my PC's acting up, just thought I'd mention it.

But wait, there's a character called George Michael? That alone is worth the price of admission. I must add this to my netflix queue!

Natalia said...

I was looking at your bookshelf on facebook. That got me inspired too.