Saturday, January 05, 2008

Atonement



I went to see the movie Atonement tonight with Melanie and Pierre. It was quite good. I really like Kiera Knightley as an actress, and the way she lets you see the gears turn behind the eyes of her characters (Pirates of the Caribbean doesn't really count as acting, so just set that aside). The movie had a few quirks (the hairstyle? it never changes???), but it was engaging and interesting and at times very visually beautiful (and at others rather graphic).

In the end I think the real winner from this movie is the director Joe Wright, who also directed my beloved Pride and Prejudice (also with Kiera Knightley). And the casting was, in my humble and uneducated opinion, very good.

If you've already seen it, tell me: did you notice all the scenes in which there is some kind or sense of a tunnel?

Oh, and the typewriter? I loved how it was used throughout the movie.

1 comment:

ZenDenizen said...

I feel like a cretin but I did not like or appreciate it on any level. I saw it last night and I napped on and off thru the midsection and when I woke up, Brionny (as portrayed by Vanessa Redgrave) was babbling about happy endings (and yes the hairstyle never changed!).