Wednesday, December 26, 2007

The year in review

So around this time of year, many bloggers take this list of 39 questions and provide their own answers. Don’t ask me who originally chose these questions, because I truly don’t know. But just for fun I thought I’d provide my own answers this year.

1. What did you do in 2007 that you’d never done before?
Became an aunt. Went to New York City. Helped build a boardwalk. Photographed someone’s wedding (as the official photographer! Yikes!!!) Blogged almost every day.

2. Did you keep your new year’s resolutions, and will you make more for next year?
I can’t remember last January’s resolutions, and I think that’s part of the problem. I think I was just trying to work myself out of a bad place emotionally, and just wanted to survive. Given this, I did well! :) I will definitely be putting a lot of thought over the next few weeks about my goals for the coming year.

Actually, come to think of it, I was also determined to make it to Europe this year, but instead I made a few trips to Seattle. Absolutely no regrets about that one.

3. Did anyone close to you give birth?
My sister-in-law (Lisa), Steph.

4. Did anyone close to you die?
I didn’t know Steph and Dom’s babies when they passed away, but I was very sad for their parents.

5. What countries did you visit?
The U.S. – four times.

6. What would you like to have in 2008 that you lacked in 2007?
Travel to Europe. A visit by my friend Wendy from New Zealand. See also #28.

7. What dates from 2007 will remain etched upon your memory, and why?
My brain does not work this way. I generally don’t remember dates. The last time I actually looked at a calendar on a significant day so that I could remember the date going forward it was Sept. 11, 2001.

8. What was your biggest achievement of the year?
My volunteer work. Saving little birds’ lives and helping to build a community for people, and then getting people organized to help plant trees and build a boardwalk. I loved seeing their faces shine with the reward of giving back, and knowing that in some small way I helped to make this possible.

9. What was your biggest failure?
Not remembering my biggest failure? :-0

10. Did you suffer illness or injury?
Nothing too bad, thank goodness. My left knee got badly scraped up when I was in a hike in the spring, and it was kind of dramatic to walk out of the forest with blood dripping halfway down my calf. But this drama would have been entirely unnecessary had I brought my first aid kit with me on the trail.

11. What was the best thing you bought?
Plane tickets.

12. Whose behavior merited celebration?
Joe and Lisa for being amazing parents. I could not be more proud or impressed.

13. Whose behavior made you appalled and depressed?
Firstly, I don’t let other people determine my own happiness. But that aside, I can’t help be concerned for Britney Spears; that young woman has some real psychological and psychiatric issues and desperately needs help. I truly hope she gets it.

Also, the Canadian federal government, led by Stephen Harper, has been utterly shameless and ridiculous regarding climate change and numerous other issues.

14. Where did most of your money go?
Rent, airfare, food, books.

15. What did you get really, really, really excited about?
Being an aunt to the two smartest and most adorable ever. Seeing Monika and Tracy when I’m visiting Seattle. My volunteer work.

16. What song will always remind you of 2007?
Everything by Michael Buble.

17. Compared to this time last year, are you:
a) happier or sadder?

This is a no-brainer. WAY happier. But I will say that even though I was going through a tough time, I learned a lot and benefited from the experience. Unfortunately, it took a while until I had the right attitude. But even that was a lesson I had to learn.

b) thinner or fatter?
About the same.

c) richer or poorer?
Richer, in more ways than one.

18. What do you wish you’d done more of?
Maintaining focus. Sleeping. Meditating. Practicing photography. Listening to my intuition. Exercising. Biking. Hiking. Bird-watching.

19. What do you wish you’d done less of?
Reacting like a wounded child. Giving my power to other people. Becoming entangled in others’ pointless dramas. Playing Spider Solitaire. Eating junk food.

20. How will you be spending Christmas?
I spent Christmas making two different soups (with a friend) for freezing, and then I met a group of very cool people for dinner at an Indian buffet. The food and service were great, and then we hung out in a coffee shop, where we just sat around for an hour or two enjoying each other’s company. An excellent way to spend the holiday.

21. Did you fall in love in 2007?
Yes.

22. How many one-night stands?
None. At night I sleep, and I do that lying down.

Seriously, nothing says “pathologically attention-seeking” to me more than discussing the number of one’s one-night stands in a public space like this.

23. What was your favorite TV program?
I watched very little TV this past year, and that makes me very happy.

24. Do you hate anyone now that you didn’t hate this time last year?
Hate is a poison that I will not abide in myself.

25. What was the best book you read?
Eat, Pray, Love by Elizabeth Gilbert. I may have mentioned that book once or twice. :)

26. What was your greatest musical discovery?
Marcey Hamm.

27. What did you want and get?
A little more wisdom.

28. What did you want and not get?

  • world peace
  • global social justice
  • a Democrat in the White House
  • the nation of Canada collectively giving Stephen Harper the finger
  • empowerment for women around the world
  • reverence and respect for nature and the environment by all people, governments, and corporations
  • a belly full of nutritious food for every child
  • literacy education and educational opportunity for all people

29. What was your favorite film of this year?
I didn’t watch a lot of movies this year, but I did watch Dear Frankie on DVD, and thought it was wonderful. I watched Kiera Knightley’s Pride and Prejudice this year more times than I can count.

30. What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you?
I chose to have a very quiet day on my 37th birthday. I took the day off work, worked out at the gym, sat in the steam room for a good long time, and had a lazy day afterward. It was great, but I hope my next birthday will be very different. Already planning it! :)

31. What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying?
Is this not the same as #28?

32. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2007?
Meh, it still fits.

33. What kept you sane?
Knowing that I can control how I feel by sifting through my own thoughts, questioning the ones that make me upset to see if they’re true (e.g., “I’m helpless”, “this situation is more than I can handle”, etc.) and then choosing the ones that are true and empowering.

34. Which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most?
Jason Bateman recently blipped on my radar. Otherwise it just hasn’t been that kind of year.

35. What political issue stirred you the most?
Climate change.

36. Who did you miss?
Too many people. It’s hard to keep up with everybody!!!

37. Who was the best new person you met?
This is getting boring, it’s so repetitive, but my niece and nephew, Lorelai and Reece, hands down. I’ve also very much enjoyed getting to know Kate, and Rhonda from Calgary. I knew Steph, Jason and Jim before 2007, though not well. It’s been very cool to become friends with these amazing people. I'm sure I'm missing people - part of the danger once you start mentioning names. :-S

38. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2007.
I’ve started to get a sense of my own empowerment, enough to be really irritated by those who insist on being victims.

39. Quote a song lyric that sums up your year.

Are you gonna wait for your sign, your
Miracle
Stand up and fight
This is it
Make no mistake where you are
This is it
Your back’s to the corner
This is it
Don’t be a fool anymore
This is it
The waiting is over
No room to run
No way to hide
No time for wondering why
Its here
The moment is now

Okay, now here are a couple of my own questions:

40. What surprised you most in 2007?
First, chickpeas. I truly did not expect to like them, or anything made of them. Second, becoming a vegetarian again; it was almost like it chose me rather than the other way around.

41. What was your favourite website in 2007?
CuteOverload.com. Read some of the comments – this website is helping some people just get through the day. Dooce is now a must-read for me, and The Daily Coyote is magical.


Now your part ... you can either take these questions and post them on your own blog, or in a note on Facebook, and let me know where I can peek at your answers, or if you have other questions, you can send them to me and I'll attempt to answer them!

Happy writing! :)

2 comments:

Jason said...

#37 <3 I've become a better person just knowing you <3

ZenDenizen said...

Good stuff! I became an aunt for the 3rd time myself in 2007. I'd love to copy this on my blog but I feel like I've talked about myself so much all year already, haha. That's why my last post was a nice easy slideshow :)

Happy New year!