Saturday, February 17, 2007

Your shopping list for beautiful music

Okay, open up your iTunes, because I'm about to give you a list of some of the music I find most beautiful. You might already have some of it, or maybe I'm missing some of your favourites that you could mention in the comments. I would love to hear your thoughts!

But here's my list of some of the most beautiful music I know:

- Gabriel's Oboe by Ennio Morricone (this one had to be mentioned first)
- The Floating Bed by Elliot Goldenthal (from the movie Frida)
- Liz on Top of the World by Jean-Yves Thibaudet (from the movie Pride and Prejudice)
- Theme from Somewhere in Time by John Barry
- Swallows in Flight by Michael Jones
- Evening by Michael Jones
- Inverness by Suzanne Ciani (there is a piano version and a "non-acoustic" version - I like either, but you might have more specific preferences)
- Beethoven's Moonlight Sonata
- Beethoven's Symphony No. 9 (Ode to Joy) - if with the full orchestra, choir, etc.
- Beethoven's Symphony No. 5 because it's so powerful and passionate

(this list is getting harder and harder to create because I want to listen to all of this music in its entirety before I move on to the next piece.)

- Glider Part 1 by Bill Conti (from "The Thomas Crown Affair". If you have not yet seen the version of this film with Pierce Brosnan and Renee Russo, stop everything you're doing RIGHT NOW and rent it!!!)
- 5 Days in May by Blue Rodeo ("They made the stars around them shine" ... sheer poetry)
- Pavane in E Minor by Debussy (just buy John Williams' CD, "Romance of the Guitar". It's gorgeous.)
- Claire de Lune by Debussy
- Prelude to the Afternoon of a Fawn by Debussy
- Beautiful by Gordon Lightfoot
- Romance by Anonymous, preferably played by classical guitarist John Williams
- She's Already Made Up Her Mind by Lyle Lovett
- My Big Secret, All Imperfect Things, and The Promise by Michael Nyman, from the soundtrack for "The Piano"
- Tomorrow's Child by Narada
- Come Away with Me by Norah Jones
- Una Notte a Napoli by Pink Martini
- Rachmaninoff's Piano Concerto No. 2, especially Moderato
- Scheherazade by Rimsky-Korsakov
- Libertango by Yo Yo Ma (the album "Soul of the Tango" is one of my favourites)
- The Wedding by Ashley MacIsaac

So ... what did I miss???? :)

No comments: