Wednesday, February 14, 2007

Gerald Eaton waved at ME!!!

Today … free lunchtime concert in downtown Toronto by The Philosopher Kings! And Gerald Eaton waved at me. ME!!!!

Okay, you may not have heard of Gerald Eaton or The Philosopher Kings (or perhaps the latter only in the Platonic sense), but this is one of my very favourite bands. Their music is a fusion of styles, and yes, they’re Canadian! Their music is passionate, soulful, and sexy.

I also went to see them in another free concert a couple of weeks ago at the WinterCity Festival – they put on a great show. I don’t care for most pop/rock concerts, because they generally bore me and sound like crap (yes, I include U2 in this category!). Today’s music is so mixed and engineered that what you might hear on a CD (or, get with the times, Eclecta, on an MP3) is generally far better than what I’ve heard live.

Notable exception: The Philosopher Kings. They’re actually talented musicians. My favourite is the pianist Jon Levine. He’s amazing. From my vantage point today, the keys looked like they were bouncing off the keyboard!

Anyway, now to the fun stuff: today I dragged my co-worker Judy with me to First Canadian Place and we found a place one story above, behind, and a bit to the side of the stage. There were a lot of people in the audience. See:


(The brown thing in the middle of the photo is a water feature, which explains why there are so few office workers sitting there. LOL)

The concert was great (of course) and at one point, they were performing the song, “Cry”. Gerald Eaton, the lead singer, asked the audience if we would like to sing along, and I said “Yeah!” out loud because I was mouthing all the lyrics anyway. I guess he must have heard me, because within a minute, he’d turned around and looked right at me (grinning enthusiastically and dressed in a bright pink sweater – um, that’s me, not G.E.). So, casually, I waved. Being friendly. :) He smiled and OH MY GOD HE WAVED BACK!!!!!!!!!! AT ME!!!!!!!!

Okay, so Gerald Eaton is just a man and isn’t really all that famous. And he’s married. And never looked back in my direction for the rest of the concert. But humour me – rationalization is for when life disappoints or hurts, not for when you have a giddy moment day of joy because you made a connection (however brief) with someone who is talented and in the spotlight. And sizzling hot. LOL Really, these moments need to be savoured, relished, documented, banked into the memory to get you through the gray days and to marshal your spirits.

Your turn: what are your favourite live bands? And what memories get you through the dark times? :)

3 comments:

Tuco said...

Hhey eclecta, thanks for checking out my blog. That's awesome that the philosopher kings are working together again and putting on free concerts. Was it Eaton - recording as "Jarvis Church" - who did that cover of U2's "One" a little while back?

Biking in Whitby/Oshawa was never easy, but at least it was bearable until the ice started covering the roads. Now it's just impossible. Plus, when I'm on my bike on the streets of Whitby, people look at me like I'm a martian! : )

Eclecta said...

Hey Tuco,

Thanks for checking out MY blog! :)

Yeah, I was really surprised - but pleased - when the Philosopher Kings got back together, recorded a new album, and started giving concerts. They really are great.

Not sure whether it was Gerald Eaton/Jarvis Church who covered "One". Just checked on iTunes and couldn't find it, but that doesn't mean it doesn't exist elsewhere.

As for biking in Whitby, maybe one day ... the town has a lot going for it, and it could take a page out of Oakville's book and add more bike paths. It would make the place even more family-friendly.

Unknown said...

Met him at a concert when I was 13 and hugged him. I fell in love. So glad to see they are together again.