Monday, February 26, 2007

Snow night

Frigid temperatures and knifing gusts have given way to a mild, peaceful calm punctuated with gorgeous, fat, fluffy snowflakes. So tonight, rather than slaving in a climate-controlled fitness centre, I laced up my boots, pulled on my toque and gloves, and headed out with my hiking poles. The ultimate destination was the World’s Biggest Bookstore (a temptation sure to motivate!), and so for over an hour, I trundled along, deeply breathing the sometimes fresh, sometimes exhaust-laced air. The poles helped me walk faster (it’s really surprising how much of an added push you can give yourself!) and also helped me stay upright when the sidewalks were slippery. Sure, I got some funny looks from strangers as I walked through posh Yorkville or past the University of Toronto, but they were probably just envious. :)

Considering that I haven’t been exercising a lot lately, it was a great workout. Of course, by the time I finally reached the WBB, I was almost too tired to look for the book I’d come to look at (Mad Cowboy by Howard F. Lyman).

I finally dragged myself home, exhausted yet … totally happy in the moment.

No comments: