Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Help me find the punchline

Okay, folks, need your help:

Today, despite my aversion to clothes shopping (see post below), I decided to go shopping during my lunch hour. (This almost never happens; in the four years I have worked in downtown Toronto, in buildings connected to the retail-rich underground PATH network, about the only other time I've gone shopping during my lunch break was when my friends Ryan and Isabelle were getting married, and on the Friday before their Saturday wedding I realized I had nothing appropriate to wear. This goes to show the utterly desperate state of my current wardrobe.)

I went to Jacob, where I found a few tops that, despite the slight pouffiness of their sleeves, weren't too trendy or girlish. The quality of the product seemed significantly better, so I didn't mind paying more for them.

Because I was too tired from shopping last night, I hadn't made a lunch for myself today, so after leaving Jacob I went to a food court where I bought some delicious vegetarian lasagna, with a savoury tomato sauce poured overtop.

Hurrying back to my desk, I noticed that the paper bag with the lasagna felt a bit wet and warm, but didn't stop to investigate until I was back at my cubicle, where I realized that a) the tomato sauce had leaked through the food container, the bag it was in, and was all over my spring jacket; and b) I was late for a meeting that I was chairing. (The lasagna was still good cold an hour later.)

So what do you know but tonight when I was about to hang up today's purchases when I finally discovered that the tomato sauce had somehow gotten into the shopping bag with my new tops and left a big red mark on the collar of the white with pinstripe blouse I'd purchased????

The blouse is currently soaking with some stain remover, but I'm not sure I'll be able to get it out. I guess the dry cleaners is the next step. Sigh.

So how can you help? There's a moral to this story, or a punchline, or both - you can help me find it. :) Leave your contributions in the comments, please! :)

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

The moral of this story is that clothes get you in trouble one way or another. Go naked.

Eclecta said...

LOL Vitaly, you never disappoint!!! I should have known you would be right there for me whenever I asked for help. :-D

I wouldn't be all that fussed about going "skyclad", but I doubt those around me would appreciate it all that much. And then there's the whole "climate control" issue at work, which basically means even when I'm wearing 5 layers of clothing, I'm still cold!!!

But it was a terrific punchline and I thank you for the laugh. :)

Anonymous said...

A six-word memoir in honor of Hemingway:

Never worn blouse. Bright red stain.

Eclecta said...

Well done, Lillian! :)

Although I'm keeping my fingers crossed that the dry cleaners will be able to get the stain out. :-S