Thursday, May 22, 2008

Certain rules

I was thinking about ethics in an airport washroom this past weekend.

The reason I was doing so was because I chose to use the extra-wide wheelchair-accessible stalls so I could easily wheel my luggage in with me and not feel like I was a calf being fattened for veal. And yet each time I use a wheelchair-accessible stall, I remember this chick in my biology class in university who refused to use the wheelchair-accessible stall, even when it was the only free stall in the washroom. To her, such stalls should be reserved for people who actually needed them. I think she felt that people with mobility issues had enough challenges without having to wait in line to go to the washroom. I have never met anyone else who felt so strongly about this, or who'd even thought along those lines.

Me, I have a thing about making other people pick up after me. I don't (knowingly) leave trash behind in theatres or airplanes. I know they have clean-up crews, but it still seems wrong to me.

And so now I'm curious, friends and Internet vagabonds: do you have any rules by which you choose to live that might seem novel or odd to other people? If so, please share! :)

2 comments:

ZenDenizen said...

I almost always tip washroom attendants. It seems like such an unpleasant job, I feel sorry for them.

Eclecta said...

Good point, Zen ... and one I hadn't even considered ... :-S