Tuesday, May 20, 2008

From plane, last night, discombobulated

Oh sweet Lord this plane is warm. Those who know me will understand how hot it must truly be if *I’m* complaining about the heat. I don’t know how to wrap up the last few days, so bear with me. I do have stuff to say.

Just nothing to say out loud right now. Speaking is so painful. I’ve been fighting a sore throat the past few days, but my mistake was roaring. I was sitting in Joe’s office, which is closed off from the rest of the house by some glass doors, and then Reece pushed his way through into the forbidden office to hang out with me, and soon Lorelai was on the other side of the doors. At first I just put my face up to the glass between her and me, which prompted delighted giggles, but you need more, right? You need sound effects. So I roared like a lion (or some blonde lady who thinks she's imitating a lion, anyway). Oh, the laughter that ensued. I was so glad that she already trusted me, that she wasn’t scared. Reece got some in-your-face roars too, which produced his wide grin and chortles too. Anyway, about twenty minutes later, Lorelai was sitting on my lap on the couch and we were roaring in each other’s faces and having a great time. Except for my scratchy throat. This morning my voice sounded like that of a drag queen. A three-pack-a-day drag queen. And basically since hitting the Seattle airport, I’ve pretty much stopped talking, making do with gestures and pointing. Except customs. You suck it up to get through customs properly, lest they decide a body cavity search is necessary. LOL

In Vancouver I found out that my checked bag didn’t make the trip. This is the second time in a row that my luggage has shown marked reluctance in returning from Seattle. I think there might be a message in this somehow.

I have just finished watching 27 Dresses. It was about the only thing my restless mind could settle on. I quite enjoyed it, but that’s hardly a recommendation from someone in such a state that even reading a Jennifer Weiner book was considered too much work. The movie was relatively entertaining, although James Marsden looked more haggard than I feel, which is saying something.

But don’t let my complaints fool you – this trip was totally worth it. I could tell you how great those kids are, or how cute, but instead let me tell you a couple of my favourite anecdotes:

  • It turns out that my camera was a great way to break the ice with them this time – they were both fascinated to see the slideshow of digital photos on the LCD screen. Lorelai* in particular was quite happy to sit in my lap while repeatedly pushing buttons on the back of the camera, but at least on one occasion both of them plopped themselves in my lap to get a front-row seat. (*I think Lorelai has inherited her Nanna's gadget obsession.)
  • Once Lisa and I took the kids for a walk outside, and eventually Lorelai wanted to hold her mother’s hand instead of mine. I was content to walk behind them, but a few seconds later, Reece reached out with his free hand to me so that the four of us were walking hand-in-hand. What a sweet and sensitive kid.

Of course, no trip to Seattle is remotely complete without getting together with Tracy and Monika. Lisa and I met up with them last Friday evening and had a great time over appetizers talking about everything from Barack Obama to Robert Downey Jr.’s guns to Barack Obama again. (It was a fan club meeting, what can I say?) So awesome to see them again.

The woman beside me on the plane is watching The Bucket List and she’s using one of those scratchy napkins to wipe away her tears. Wordlessly but with a smile, I nudge a packet of tissues across her tray. Movies make me cry too. “I just need one,” she says with a laugh, then, with exaggerated diction: “Thank you!” like I might be deaf or non-English speaker.

So tired. Signing off for now.

No comments: