Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Acts of kindness

This is a regular feature of the Toronto Star, which can sometimes bring me to tears. Here are a couple of recent submissions that I think you might enjoy:

Many years ago, I had to travel to and from work on the TTC. It was not easy, as I had to also pick up my two children at daycare and take them on the bus.

One stormy winter night, we were on the northbound Warden bus when my 4-year-old announced he was going to be sick. We got off the bus at the next stop.

After tending to my son, I realized that there would not be another bus for a half an hour. We were not close to anywhere and the storm was getting worse. With a hungry 6-month-old and a diaper bag in my arms and a sick 4-year-old at my side, we began to trudge through the blowing snow.

We were half way home when an elderly man stopped his car and asked if we would like a ride. I was a little hesitant to get into the stranger's vehicle but my arms were aching and both children were crying.

The gentleman opened the door and helped us into the back seat. He then drove us to the door of our apartment building. I was so thankful I offered to pay him. He refused, saying that he hoped someone would help his daughter and grandchildren in the same way, should they ever need it. He had no idea how grateful I was for his assistance.

Barbara Yeo, North Bay


I am a senior and I use the TTC a lot and it was snowing heavily as I was waiting for the bus.

I saw a bus coming in the distance but alas, it was not in service. Much to my surprise it stopped and the driver motioned me to get on, which I did. It was only a small kindness, but to me it meant a lot.

Seniors tend to be ignored in our society and small kindness like these are few and far between.
Kathleen Matthews, Toronto

No comments: