Wednesday, May 11, 2005

Stephanie Plum Quote of the Day

One of my favourite series of books is the Stephanie Plum novels by Janet Evanovich. They're fun, escapist reads that make me laugh out loud on the subway. I've been re-reading them lately. So here's your quote for the day, from "Four to Score":

“Nothing like being pregnant to give a woman a glow,” Grandma said.

“I may be glowing, but I’m not pregnant.”

Grandma looked down at my stomach. “You look pregnant.”

It was all that damn Italian food. “It’s cake,” I said.

“You might want to get rid of that cake before the wedding,” Grandma said. “Or you’re going to have to buy one of them empire gowns that don’t have a waist.”

“I’m not getting married,” I said. “There’s no wedding.”

Grandma sat up straighter. “What about the hall?”

“What hall?”

“We figured you’d hold your reception at the Polish National Hall. It’s the best place for it, and Edna Majewski said they had a cancellation, but you’d have to act fast.”

“You didn’t hire a hall!”

“Well, we didn’t put down no deposit,” Grandma said. “We weren’t sure of the date.”

I looked to Joe. “You explain it.”

“Stephanie’s apartment got damaged in the fire, and she’s renting a room from me until her apartment’s repaired.”

“How about sex?” Grandma asked. “Are you having sex?”

“No.” Not since Saturday.

“If it was me, I’d have sex,” Grandma said.

“Christ,” my father said, at the head of the table.

1 comment:

Ashley Maue said...

i also love the stephanie plum novels! i have read through 14! i think it's a great idea to do a quote of the day from her stories--they're hilarious!