Saturday, May 07, 2005

Songs from My Childhood, Part II

"Lemon Tree" is another song I was taught in grade school. In part, the lyrics are:

When I was just a lad of ten, my father said to me,
Come here and learn a lesson from the lovely lemon tree.
Don’t put your faith in love, my boy, my father said to me,
I fear you’ll find that love is like the lovely lemon tree.

Lemon tree very pretty and the lemon flower is sweet
But the fruit of the poor lemon is impossible to eat.
Lemon tree very pretty and the lemon flower is sweet
But the fruit of the poor lemon is impossible to eat.
Am I just insane, or does anyone else think, "Whoa, that father had issues!" (Yes, I know it's just a song ... HUMOUR ME. ;->) Can you imagine your father, taking you aside at age 10, and telling you that love makes sweet promises that turn into bitter reality? Maybe it was an episode of "Married with Children" ... or after a bottle of Jack Daniels. LOL

No comments: