Monday, May 16, 2005

Moment of Vindication ... Lost ...

While away on vacation, I have two amazing friends from work, Nancy and Kevin, who are going to cat-sit for me. Tonight I had them over for "catsitting orientation", as well as dinner. I had stressed about my apartment all weekend long, because I figured that it had to be up to a certain standard to meet with the approval of a meticulously groomed gay man like Kevin (yes, it's a stereotype, so sue me).

But as I was showing them around the apartment, Kevin actually said, "Your apartment is amazingly clean and organized!" (or something to that effect). Now you have to understand that my entire childhood, my parents always found my housekeeping skills less than satisfactory (because I always preferred reading books!). So here it was - my moment of vindication. I ran to the phone (while Nancy laughed and Kevin blushed as he always does so adorably), called my mother, and said, "Mom! A GAY MAN just said my apartment is amazingly clean and organized!!!" This would be the moment when my mother would sound proud or at least surprised. Instead, she was remarkably underwhelmed. "Well, you did say that you were going to clean yesterday." Yes, but ... SIGH.

Anyway, Nancy and Kevin are oriented and I'm one step closer to my vacation! And I have an apartment that can impress a gay man! :->

Eclecta

No comments: