Sunday, October 21, 2007

DVD Review times two

I just finished watching The Princess Bride, the first time I’ve done so since I was a teenager. I’ve owned the DVD for about two years, but for some reason I just was never motivated to watch it. But this afternoon I was feeling really tired and a bit under the weather, so I decided I’d watch it. I’m really glad I did. This movie has great heart. (My favourite characters are the soulful Inigo Montoya [whose sole purpose for twenty years has been to someday say, “Hello, my name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die.”] and the grandson and grandfather, whose interactions are the framing for the telling of the fairy tale.)

The only thing that I really wish had been differently is Buttercup’s whole damsel in distress thing. That was irritating, especially when she could have clobbered that R.O.U.S. with a stick but didn’t. Well, it still was a really great movie …

Last night, my friend Melanie and I watched Knocked Up, which seems to be really popular. Again, another movie with some great heart, mostly thanks to the incredibly likeable and charming Seth Rogen. The movie did make me laugh quite a bit, often with immature gags that bothered me even as I found them humourous. However, the movie needed a FAR better editor to tidy things up significantly. As it was, I felt the makers of the film had been working under a thick fog of narcotics as that experienced by some of the movie’s characters. It was a long, big, likeable, dopey mess. Nor could I actually see a Katherine Heigl actually getting drunk with a Seth Rogen in the first place. But it was fun, and Paul Rudd was spectacular in his role as the bitter, disengaged brother-in-law. All in all, a good rental.

That’s it for now – unless you’d like to tell me about what you have been watching lately? :)

2 comments:

Jason said...

R.O.U.S?? You'll have to clarify that acronym for me cynth :)

It's amazing how timeless the Princess Bride is as a movie, but i guess being a period piece helps quite a bit. The entire movie is one giant cameo with so many good(?) actors with bit roles.

I've been watching TRANSFORMERS this past weekend, complete with commentary and Extras, and would recommend it as a rental as well.

Apocolypto and Babel also graced my television last week, both very excellent movies if you have yet to see them.

Eclecta said...

Hey Jason,

Sorry for the late reply. This flu has made me quite lethargic ...

Anyway, R.O.U.S. = Rodents of Unusual Size. :)

I've heard very good things about Transformers (especially from my ultra-cool friend Tracy), yet still can't muster up any enthusiasm to watch it. :-s

Babel I'm kind of interested in seeing, only because Cate Blanchett is so amazing. Apocolypto ... hmmm ... lots of violence and putting money into Mel Gibson's pocket??? Not so appealing these days. LOL