Thursday, June 14, 2007

My last concert of the season

Reasons to go see classical music performed live, even if (like me) you don’t know much about classical music:

1) Awesome people-watching. I’ve been to several TSO concerts, and I’m starting to feel that I know some of the musicians’ personalities. There’s the anal violinist who’s always on stage, practicing before the concert and during intermission, frowning with palpable anxiety and concentration the entire time; there’s the first violist, who is so conscientious, hard-working, and maybe just a little in need of reassurance; there’s the concertmaster (first violinist) who seems like the kind of man I’d love to have for an uncle; and then there’s the other musician (whose instrument shall not be named) who has to be the most angst-y lesbian I have seen in a loooooooong time (does she even know she’s gay???)

2) Figuring out “what the heck just made that sound?” is a lot easier when you can actually see the orchestra;

3) Often there are interplays between two instruments or two groups of instruments, and seeing it live helps you to appreciate that there’s actually a musical dialog taking place (at least it does for me);

4) Seeing the facial expressions of the performers. Tonight’s guest pianist had the loveliest peaceful yet focused expression, and conductor Peter Oundjian looked flushed, exhilarated, and profoundly relieved when this concert was over;

5) The music is so much more engaging when seen live – it resonates through you in a way that a recording doesn’t. And often you’ll develop an affinity for a piece of work because you heard it live and you can appreciate it so much better than you might otherwise (again, this is what I’ve found, at least).

Tonight’s guest pianist for Brahm’s Piano Concerto #2 was Hélène Grimaud, and I was her fan from the moment she walked on stage. You see, when most other female soloists perform, they tend to wear strapless evening gowns, which I dislike because a) male soloists don’t dress in “sexy” attire, so why should the female ones?; b) sometimes, as with a solo violinist a few months ago, the strapless dress shows hard-working muscles that really aren’t that attractive. Grimaud, on the other hand, wore a silk pantsuit (a pantsuit!!!), with her hair tied back in a simple way that only accentuated her beauty. And then her music … was so pure. Amazing. I will definitely be looking up her recordings.

The other score performed this evening was “Rite of Spring” by Igor Stravinsky. It might not be melodical/everyone’s cup of tea, but it is genius, and I encourage you to see it performed live if you can. After catching Stravinsky’s “Fireworks” and “Firebird” last week, I’m now a fan of his work as well …

Before tonight, I was resolved not to buy tickets for the upcoming season because it always ends up being such a late night for me. But I am soooooo tempted to splurge again!!!!!

No comments: