Wednesday, March 28, 2007

The Power of Myth

I just started reading the book, The Power of Myth, by Joseph Campbell with Bill Moyers, and it's amazing!!! I've learned and really thought more from reading a few pages of this book than anything else I've read in a long, long time. There's something about what Campbell says that just rings of truth. Example:

People say that what we’re all seeking is a meaning for life. I don’t that that’s what we’re really seeking. I think that what we’re seeking is an experience of being alive, so that our life experiences on the purely physical plane will have resonances within our own innermost being and reality, to that we actually feel the rapture of being alive.

In the first chapter, one of the things that they discuss is the importance of ritual (funerals, weddings, etc.). Ritual was something that I had come to deplore as mere theatre until I read just a page or two of this book, and now I think I'm starting to actually get it.

This book has been out a loooong time, so maybe you have read it as well. Your thoughts?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

thanks for the tip sounds ineresting...