Thursday, April 06, 2006

The kindness of strangers

I won’t go into the details, but work has been a bit stressful this week (thank goodness the budget process is done for a while at least). This afternoon, I was feeling edgy and felt the need to return to the mother ship (i.e., Godiva’s). I decided on my purchases, and the sales clerk asked me, “Is this for work?”

“Well, part of it is, yes. Why do you ask?”

“Well, when people come in and make a quick decision on what to buy, and then give a big sigh, I figure it’s for work.”

Hmm ... hadn't realized the sigh (or the stress) was so obvious.

We made some little jokes about how a chocolatier should be part psychologist, and he slipped a little chocolate square into my shopping bag for free.

His kindness made my day.

Thanks Godiva guy!


By the way, I went back to work, had a good chat with my director, and stress levels are slowly edging down. :)

UPDATE April 7th: Last night as I was falling to sleep, I thought that I should add a bit to this post. Yes, this past week has been somewhat stressful, but I'm exceptionally proud of the way I handled it. I didn't walk away from a fight, I trusted myself, I kept a sense of perspective (I even placed my copy of A Mighty Heart on my desk to remind me of true suffering, choice, and bravery), I continually chose to be happy and to be a cheerful presence in the office, and I ended up using this conflict as an opportunity to show one of my strengths and to offer a solution and a perspective that was unique and holistic. Not to toot my own horn ... I just didn't want anyone to think that I was crumbling under the stress. LOL

No comments: