Saturday, April 08, 2006

Feeling like an old lady

Today my friend Brendon and I went hiking in the Albion Hills Conservation Area north of Bolton, ON. It is in the beautiful and ecologically-important Oak Ridges Moraine.

We saw two woodpeckers, a chipmunk, geese, ducks, and a beautiful (great blue?) heron. We also heard a lot of intrepid frogs (it seemed a bit chilly to me for frogs to be busy with mating calls, but maybe after hibernating all winter, they were feeling a little frisky ;-> )

I think we hiked for about 3 - 3.5 hours. The paths alternated between muddy and dry, there were lots of hills for us to climb and descend, and whenever the ground was uneven I struggled with my balance as my ankles were a bit weak from not hiking in a long time (yes, I fell a few times, but Brendon had to help me up only on the last time after I'd twisted my ankle a bit).

Three hours of hiking. I shudder to think how I'll feel tomorrow, because already I feel like an old woman. LOL However, it was a lot of fun, and I'm looking forward to the next hike! :->

No comments: