Saturday, April 15, 2006

Hiking at Forks of the Credit

Great hike today at the Forks of the Credit Provincial Park! I needed some time to myself, and it was perfect.

Here’s a picture of the Kettle Lake (obviously too early in the season for there to be much green). According to Brad Cundiff in Walks Around Toronto:

A kettle lake is a lake created by glaciation that has no in- or outflow. Instead, a pocket carved in rock by glaciers is filled with meltwater and, later, rainwater to form a small self-contained lake.

Funny, I thought a small land-bound body of water with no in- or outflow was a pond, but what do I know?


Here’s a photo of the Bruce Trail, which crosses the park.












And here – sorry for the quality guys (my camera was about $170) – is a pic of the falls that used to be used for a couple of different mills, and then a power station. It’s quite pretty.

Today was the first time I used my brand-new hiking poles. I love them! As noted in a previous post, I tend to have weak ankles and not-so-great balance (thanks to a relatively mild case of Charcot Marie Tooth disease). I found the poles really helped me to keep my balance, walk faster, and spend less time looking where I was stepping (so I could spend more time looking around me instead). I had a great cardio workout. I’m thrilled.

All in all, a great way to spend my Saturday!

:->

Eclecta

No comments: