Tuesday, June 14, 2005

Just a thought

Yesterday I was walking past a woman with a young toddler in a stroller. They were seated at the edge of a food court, with a store for children’s clothing just across the walkway. The little girl was crying her tiny heart out, stretching her hands pleadingly toward the doll in the shop window.

And I wondered: How does a being like this little girl want a doll that doesn’t really do anything? All she could do was hold it and pretend she was its “mother”. It would not be able to return any affection even. I wondered if even at that age, she wanted something/somebody to love and to care for. If that’s true, that says something beautiful about human nature, doesn’t it???

Eclecta

2 comments:

Eclecta said...

Hi Linda!

Your post made me laugh - because you're probably 100% correct. LOL Me and my fanciful thinking! D'Oh!!!! :->

On the other hand, I know that toddlers of both genders like dolls - holding them and pretending to take care of them. And I would love your pragmatic interpretation of why, rather than my goofy interpretation on a part of human nature ... Your thoughts???

Thanks for stopping by, Linda! :)

Cynthia

Anonymous said...

I think you are both right. Toddlers do need to be nurtured and they need to nurture as well. At that age they are also very egocentric so if they don't get what they want and crying and gesturing has helped them get things in the past, then that's a good strategy to try again.