Sunday, June 12, 2005

A cultural moment


I was driving somewhere on Vancouver Island when I saw this sign by the road. It just struck me as an interesting cultural difference - no one in Ontario would believe we "all depend on our forests", but in B.C. I'm sure it's the case - and for good reason. Anyway, that's enough of my anthropology for now. :->

Update July 1, 2005: I've had some feedback about this post. My friend Lynn (who hails from Timmins) responded that in northern Ontario, signs re. forest fires are common. Someone else tried to explain to me that the B.C. economy is more dependent on forestry than the Ontario one, which of course I knew. Culture is composed of and influenced by a variety of factors, including economic ones. The sign pictured above just caught my eye because you would never see it in Toronto, for example - even if the entire Canadian economy is affected by the forestry industry. And that, to me, is an interesting cultural moment. :)
Posted by Hello

No comments: