Tuesday, August 12, 2008

She dreams in kittens too

Okay, got an interesting comment from a reader on something I'd posted many moons ago. Basically, the post was about my recurring dreams of kittens. Bryn responds:

ok was googleing kitten dreams because i too dream of kittens, at least 3 times a week, sometimes every other night. and i am always worried about the kittens being too thin, getting enough to eat, getting crushed, etc. they are alternatly stressful but also can be sweet because i love kittens and cats. can anyone tell me what this means. every dream dictionary seems to tell me deceptions await, but i am not sure if that applies to my specific dream. any help would be greatly appreciated. Bryn
Seeing as I've never pretended to be a psychologist or dream expert, I'm not sure why Bryn would take anything I have to take seriously, but let's pretend that I am a dream expert for a moment (I do dream every night, after all), and I will give my take on this dream.

While I'm sure that there are things such as prophetic dreams, I've never had one, and perhaps this biases my interpretation of this dream. For me personally, I've often found that my dreams are a symbolic way in which my unconscious attempts to talk to my conscious self about stuff that it finds important.

For example, my friend Sophie once had a dream that she was in a room somewhere and these cockroaches kept coming out of the walls. She'd kill one and then there'd be another, and another. I suggested to her that this was a symbolic view of her life at the time - one problem after another. "Oh my God, that's true!!!" she said. (See? I'm an expert!)

So, Bryn, I think your dream is telling you that you are a very caring person who is very worried about others, perhaps people for whom you feel great fondness. This is causing you a certain amount of distress, and your unconscious was just playing that back to you. Maybe it's even telling you that you need to find better, healthier ways to deal with this worry and stress.

Anyone else want to share their interpretation? :) Or another dream for interpretation by the Great Eclecta??? :-P

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Cats and kittens in women's dreams most often refer to her sexuality, her inner "sex kitten!" Meow. When the dream cat is starving it may mean you are in a dry spell... you are hungry for someone to pet you and make you purrrr! ;-) Less often, cats and kittens can stand in for independence. So again, if your dream cats are in danger or starving ask yourself if your independence is in trouble. What is it (or whom is it) you need to break free from.

Dream Expert and author Lauri Loewenberg, www.thedreamzone.com