Tuesday, May 29, 2007

Seattle Weekend Recap

Tomorrow I fly back to Toronto after staying an extra-long weekend with my brother and sister-in-law and their four-month-old twins. This morning when I started to think about it being my last day here, I actually started to cry (actually, I just cried; to say I "started to cry" might imply that I actually didn't cry). I will miss these little gaffers terribly. But that’s all that I’ll say about that because I don’t want to start feeling sad again.

Instead, let me tell you what I’ve learned since getting here Thursday night.

  • Carrying babies around is an excellent exercise regimen. Since I stopped going to the gym in lieu of the bird rescues a month and a half ago, I haven’t done much to develop the muscles in my arms. This weekend was an intense get-back-in-shape routine. I’m ready to start canoeing!
  • If you have twin babies, earplugs are an essential investment. Not the kind that make you oblivious to anything, just the kind that reduces the decibels of the inevitable screaming somewhat. You may think I jest. I do not - Joe has a pair like the ones I wore to a rock concert on an end-table in his living room, and uses them from time to time.
  • Raising twin babies is hard work. If you happen to have friends or relatives who have twin babies and you are able to pitch in and help in some way, please consider it. Joe and Lisa are doing a great job, but I think it helps to have at least an occasional extra pair of hands so they can take care of odd jobs around the house, sneak in an extra nap, or just get out of the house for an hour.
  • For that matter, being a stay-at-home mom is hard work. There were times just being here for the weekend when I was cabin-feverish or sometimes bored because babies – as darling as they are – are not always intellectually challenging. To you ladies (and gents) out there who have done it – or are in the trenches now – my hat is off to you.
  • The most delicious, most sinful trail mix there is has the following ingredients: peanuts, peanut butter chips, chocolate chips, pecan pieces, raisins, and dried cherries. A-M-A-Z-I-N-G. And amazing that I didn’t gain 10 pounds since arriving here. My only saving grace is the exercise regimen noted above.
  • Reece is one of the most determined, intense babies I have ever seen. Initially his parents thought that he was going to be a laid-back kid, but it doesn’t look that way right now. Unless he’s just chilling on his mama’s lap after a feeding, he is all about action and learning new stuff. He is one smart kid.
  • Lorelai is one of the sweetest babies I have ever met. Her smiles would charm a rock. The cooing sounds she makes are bone-meltingly adorable. She loves to cuddle and interact with you and is actually very loving.
  • Joe and Lisa continue to be a great couple. They still laugh and have lots of fun together, and are unswervingly supportive and considerate of each other. Pretty cool that my brother has found this fantastic relationship - and life - for himself. I’m thrilled for him. He deserves all of it.
Well, that's all, folks. Next time you hear from me, I will likely be back in T.O. With a big piece of my heart left in a Seattle suburb.

1 comment:

Jay said...

Your niece and nephew are beautiful, just like their aunt.