Thursday, May 24, 2007

Ready to lose another piece of my heart

So here I am, sitting in the airport at Vancouver. I guess I’ve mentioned that a few times already. It’s hard for me to believe that I’ve been pried once again from my home, my books, my routines, my independence, and my poor cats (Cleo was heartbreakingly glum this morning as she watched me pack). All this to see two babies.

When they were born four months ago, it was a thrill. I was excited, engaged, curious … and then when I was reassured that all was well, my life went on. And I became excited, engaged, and curious about other things. (I hope this doesn't sound cold ... it's just, jeez, how sick would it be if I sat by my phone waiting to hear whether the babies were having regular bowel movements? LOL). Anyway, eventually the fact that my brother and sister-in-law had a baby son and daughter seemed like a dream, something completely disassociated from my reality. So much so that when I told friends and co-workers about this upcoming trip, they were frankly more excited about it than I was. (Although this could have also been due to the fact I was so busy that I couldn’t see beyond the current day.)

But now, in just a few more hours, I will see them. They might be sleeping (for their parents’ sake, I hope they are), but they will be an irrevocable part of my history.

I have a feeling that I am totally unprepared for the grip these two will have on my heart.

But unless you are reading this blog for the very first time, you will know that I welcome it anyway.

No comments: