Monday, September 04, 2006

Long overdue update

Okay, the longer it takes for me to update this blog, the harder it gets Â… simply because itÂ’s been busy (mostly in very good ways) and it becomes very difficult to share all that I want to Â…

So whatÂ’s been up? In no particular order:

  • I bought myself a nice new laptop. Mostly to keep myself from getting canned for installing non-business software on my work PC. But also because my ultra-lightweight work laptop had a very tiny monitor that made it difficult for me to edit and assess my photographs. Anyway, still working on my new laptop and getting data from my work PC.
  • Last weekend a crew of us went to Everdale, an organic farm and environmental learning centre. IÂ’ll write more about it later, but if you happen to live in the area, I would highly recommend checking it out.
  • IÂ’m signed up for a few photography courses this fall, which is exciting. I definitely could use additional skills and experience, so hereÂ’s hoping that theyÂ’re helpful!
  • I bought a subscription to the Toronto Symphony Orchestra this past week. Yay!!! IÂ’m very excited about the music on the roster. I also see this as an opportunity to nurture the auditory part of my brain; ever since I got my camera, IÂ’ve noticed IÂ’m increasingly becoming a visual person. (I normally listen to rock/adult alternative, but in my experience music of those genres is generally so mixed that live music canÂ’t compare any more to the CD/MP3. Classical music, however, is the opposite.)
  • Went to see “Antony and Cleopatra” at Shakespeare in the Rough about 10 days ago. Really enjoyed it, especially the actress who played Cleopatra. A thoroughly pleasant way to spend a summer evening!
  • Going to see “Coriolanus” at the Stratford Festival this month! IÂ’ve never been to the Festival, but this play (and Colm Feore) have had excellent reviews, so IÂ’m really excited about this opportunity!
  • Rented an amazing documentary: “Born into Brothels”. ItÂ’s the story of an American photographerÂ’s relationship with 8 children in the red light district of Calcutta, India. They ask her to teach them photography and to escape the life of the brothels. So she gives each one a camera and tries doggedly to find schools that will take these amazing youngsters. These kids Â… you just have to watch this film! YouÂ’ll want to adopt them all just like I did. They were so wise and guileless and resilient and beautiful and talented! The film is heartbreaking and uplifting at the same time. (By the way, these first-time filmmakers won the Oscar for best documentary!)

Just finishing a lovely long weekend. Lovely because I stayed home the entire time (except for when I went to the gym, which was every day – yay me!!!). Cooked, cleaned, generally took care of things so (hopefully) this upcoming hectic month will be manageable. Well, that’s it for now folks – a few more things to do before I sleep!

No comments: