Sunday, September 24, 2006

Coriolanus

Yesterday, with friends Marianna and Aamer, I went to the Stratford Festival to see the last performance of the play Coriolanus, starring Colm Feore.

I’ve been thinking about this play all day today.

It is a very dark play, violent at times, but there are also moments of humour and tenderness that balance it. Feore played the role of Coriolanus with an energy and athleticism that surprised and mesmerized me. He was amazing. Martha Henry plays the role of Volumnia, Coriolanus’ mother, with dignity, wisdom, and perfection of timing and expression.

In many ways, Coriolanus is a political play. It was fascinating to see the character of Coriolanus remain essentially unchanged in his naivete and pride in refusing to play politics (or to appeal to the common people, whom he scorns), while the masses, easily manipulated by expediency or by Coriolanus’ political enemies, change from one extreme to the other. There are some real and fascinating arguments for and against democracy in this work. Lots to think about. And I know there would be so much more meaning to glean if I saw/read it again.

I hope you had a chance to see it.

No comments: