Monday, September 04, 2006

Acts of Kindness

The Toronto Star has a regular feature called "Acts of Kindness". These are stories sent in by readers documenting how kindness has brightened their lives. Here are two samples for your enjoyment:

Four years ago my was daughter was seriously injured, and her boyfriend killed in a car accident midway on a trip from B.C. to Ontario.

Her brothers and a sister-in-law from Alberta and B.C., and I from Ontario raced to her hospital in Regina. Close to the end of her 10-day stay one son noticed that the cafeteria staff had been giving us a staff discount.

We had been eating all our meals there and it was only 10 per cent but it meant 100 per cent to know they understood the cost and stress. On the flight from Calgary to Vancouver a West Jet ground staff gave my daughter a bouquet of flowers because she looked so sad.

They didn't know the story, but there had to be one for a girl in a wheelchair with stitches, cast, brace and crutches clutching her boyfriend's guitar.

These were only two of many acts of kindness across those three provinces that I will never forget. Margaret Green, Midland

I hardly ever read this column, but saw it today and though I should write.

My marriage is in trouble: past unresolved hurts led to infidelity leading to more hurt. I only found out about the infidelity yesterday. My husband and I went to a park to talk today; lots of crying and angry body language.

The park is huge and underused. Especially since it was a weekday, during office hours, there were few people around. However, one lady walked her dog towards us.

This annoyed me as we were clearly having a private moment and there was all kinds of room for her to stay out of earshot. But she came closer and closer, until she was right beside me, then she leaned down and gave me a hug.

She whispered to ask if I was okay and if I needed help and if she should stay with me. I know I don't need protection physically, but I was, and am, injured emotionally. Her kindness and noticing my pain, and going out of her way to offer help touched me.

When I look back at this day, which ever way my marriage goes, the kindness of that stranger will make it a bit less painful.

S.D., Hamilton

No comments: