Sunday, July 30, 2006

Resolute

A poem I wrote a few months ago, in response to a situation in which I found myself, and in which I observed some other people. Fortunately not currently an issue for me ... but maybe someone else will appreciate it. :)

Resolute

You don’t know who you are, but this is fine –
This poem is not about you; it’s about me.

I. Will. Not. Allow. You. To. Define. Me.

Your arguments, your savagery
will not affect my integrity
will not erode my confidence
will not turn me from the path directed by my most sacred inner compass.

These are things you cannot touch.

I will be smart, but bold
I will be flexible, but resolute
I will be unmoved by all your tempests, demands, and impatience.
I will accept you as you are, and work around you when I need to.

Because happiness is my choice,
And reasonableness is my decision.
I will be fiercely, passionately kind, consistent, and good-humoured.
In this freedom, I will live my life

And you will respect me for it.

No comments: